Well a bit about me... My name is Nicky and I am 35 years old. I live in Auckland, NZ and have a wonderful husband, Alex, a dog named Basil and a cat called Girl.
This is a blog about me and my struggle with weight. I cant recall how long I have been overweight. I have seen pictures of myself when I was about 11 or 12 and I looked good then. I was extremely active playing tennis and riding my bike and walking places. I have had issues with food from about that time though. I remember stealing cornflakes from the pantry and hiding in the garage and eating them. I remember stealing a peice of bread and eating it under the covers in bed. I remember stealing frozen homemade biscuits from the freezer.
I remember being on a diet with Mum when I was about 12 or 13. I cant remember if I had a problem with my size but I guess Mum did. Her and I ate differently from the rest of the family and we had to do "exercises". When we were watching a movie as a family and had a bowl of chips... I had to ask if I was allowed one and I remember feeling so stink. My brother and sister were never limited as I was. I think thats where I get my love of chips from now. I eat them whenever I can because I never know if I will be "allowed" them ever again (something I am working on now). I dont want to blame anyone else for my size though. No-one forced the food into my mouth and made me sit on the couch instead of getting out in the fresh air.
I remember I got my first car when I was about 18 and instead of walking and biking everywhere I would take the car. I was working and had other interests and slowly exercise started taking a back seat. The combination of hiding food (I stopped stealing it from the pantry because I was working and I could afford to buy it myself) and lack of exercise have contributed to my weight gain.
Over the years I have tried various diets but just kept on getting bigger and bigger. Now (as of 8 weeks ago) I am at an all time high of 210 kgs... well I think I'm 210 kgs.. the scales only go up to 200 so I have to kind of estimate. I want so much to be healthy and at a normal weight so I can live life and not be afraid. I am afraid of going out to eat because people will be staring at me and I dont even know if they have chairs I can fit in. I am scared of going anywhere in a plane in case I dont fit the seat. I am scared of just walking down the street in case I fall and I cant get up. Im scared of catching up with old friends because I just keep getting bigger. I just dont want to be scared of living any more. I want to do soooooo many things.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Starting Picture
Wow! Almost as wide as the hallway
Side View
Almost as wide as the hallway!!
hi Nicky
ReplyDeletereading this is like reading my own autobiography ... same age, same weight, same family (OH, dog and cat) ... so similar in fears as well (especially the chair thing) .... I followed your blog from the WW Online thread and I've found your blog to be quite inspiring!
Fiona
Thanks Fiona. My sister gave me the idea, she thought it would be a good idea to have a record of my journey and all the ups and downs. Im enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteI hope you're enjoying WW.
Nicky